Best 15 Trickle Charger for Car Battery Review and Buyer’s Guide 2020
We have all experienced problems with our batteries primarily after we have used it for a period of time. As a result of extended use, batteries are likely to lose its charge. Hence, we have resorted to a fast charge to save time.
However, when you charge your battery faster, especially at high current, it could further damage the battery. Also, the battery could explode, therefore, giving you the extra cost of getting a new one.
Nonetheless, the best solution for this issue is using a trickle batteries charger. Hence, we have compiled a list of the best trickle chargers for car battery,reviews as well as a buyer’s guide.
Smartech WBC 250
Battery Tender Plus 021-0128
Battery Tender 022-0165-DL-WH
- Top 15 Best Trickle Charge Battery For Cars On The Market
- 1. Battery Tender Plus 12V - Best Trickle Chargers
- 2. NOCO Genius G1100 Battery Charger
- 3. Optima Digital 400 Portable Charger Maintainer – Best Portable And Digital Automatic Battery Charger
- 4. LST 12V Battery – Best Motorcycle Battery Charger
- 5. Battery Tender 2-Bank 12V – Best Bulk Battery Charger
- 6. Schumacher SC1308 – Top Eco-Friendly Battery Charger
- 7. DieHard 71219 – Best Battery Charger For Motorcycle
- 8. Smartech WBC 250 Smart Battery Charger
- 9. Ampeak Smart Trickle Charger
- 10. Schumacher SP1297 – Best Portable Marine Trickle Charger
- 11. Extreme Max 4-Bank Car Battery Charger
- 12. STANLEY BC209 Car Battery Charger
- 13. SUAOKI Trickle Charger
- 14. GOOSUO Automatic Trickle
- 15. SUNER POWER Trickle Battery - Best Solar Battery Charger
- Best Trickle Charger For Car Battery
- Buying Guide
- Battery Voltage
- Before settling on a particular trickle product, it is crucial to know your battery energy. This is because some chargers are manufactured to suit either a 6 volt or a 12-volt battery. Hence, you need to know how compatible your battery will be with the charger.
- Battery Type
- Battery charger with trickle charge function is made to support different types of battery. Some may work well with lead acid battery or AGM batteries or even WET batteries. Therefore, you should check the charger's compatibility with your battery before buying it. Also, if you use an incompatible charger, it may damage your battery.
- Engine Size
- Type of Charger
- What Is The Difference Between Auto Trickle Chargers And Battery Maintainers?
- FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
- Our top pick
Top 15 Best Trickle Charge Battery For Cars On The Market
1. Battery Tender Plus 12V - Best Trickle Chargers
This model is one of the safest battery maintainer and best trickle chargers because of its detailed mechanism that opposes reverse polarity.
It operates with a 12 volt capacity and a current of 1.25 Ampere that guarantees you as much efficiency as a 3 Ampere charger. Also, this model is easy to use as it comes with a harness that connects easily to areas that are difficult to access.
Additionally, it has a 6 feet AC power cord, 4.5 feet DC output cord, and a 1.5 feet DC accessory, all 18AWG. A light sensor that indicates the reverse polarity condition is also available on this unit.
You can use this car charger maintainer if you own an off-road motorcycle or any such vehicle.
2. NOCO Genius G1100 Battery Charger
NOCO Genius G1100 is an automatic smart battery charger that allows you to switch between different charging modes. It works effectively on small batteries agm, including lithium batteries.
Hence, you can make use of this charger for your motorbike battery, Jet Ski, and other vehicle batteries between 2.2 – 40Ah. G1100 is compatible with both 6V and 12V battery and works effectively with batteries AGM, wet, or gel batteries.
Additionally, this battery is spark-proof with advanced technology for reverse polarity while being operated using a smart system. Also, it is sturdy and guarantees a fast charging that allows you to charge your batteries faster than usual.
3. Optima Digital 400 Portable Charger Maintainer – Best Portable And Digital Automatic Battery Charger
Optima battery charger is a compact trickle charger that delivers a lot more when compared to its size.
When not in use, you can wrap this product adequately as the wires and cords can be neatly wrapped around its body and kept in place with a Velcro strap.
Also, this charger has a dual purpose, as you can use it to charge your battery as well as maintain it. The presence of software and microprocessor allow it to detect the condition of your battery and charge it adequately.
Hence, it charges fast and does not overcharge. Additionally, Optima charges at 4 Amps despite its compact size. Thus, you can use it to power your boats, vehicles, and UTV on the go.
4. LST 12V Battery – Best Motorcycle Battery Charger
If you have a dead battery and you need to power it, then the LST 12V battery is suitable for you. It charges AGM batteries, wet or flooded and sealed lead acid battery adequately. This is the perfect battery if you have a motorcycle, lawnmower, or a boat because of its versatility.
LST has an LCD screen that lets you monitor the charging level and offer adequate power to the battery. Additionally, it has a 7 stage trickle charging battery process that guarantees your total charge as well as maintenance.
As a result of its charging, cells can be recovered quickly, and you can enjoy an extended battery life.
5. Battery Tender 2-Bank 12V – Best Bulk Battery Charger
If you have more than one battery to charge, it is only suitable that you get an adequate and economical trickle charger than buying two different units.
Hence, this unit is the best option for you as it comes in a 2-in-one 1.25 amp trickle charging.
This battery-powered charger is made to charge full a battery while maintaining it at an efficient voltage without the side effects.
Additionally, this two-bank charger is lightweight despite its high capacity of 1.25 amps and 12 volts contained in each bank. A microprocessor is included in each unit to control the current exuded while charging.
6. Schumacher SC1308 – Top Eco-Friendly Battery Charger
This battery maintenance chargers is manufactured with the ability to detect 6 volt and 12v battery charger effectively. You can quickly know the level of charge and the battery status as it comes with a bright display screen.
Additionally, Schumacher SC1308 can medium-charge, and fast charging your batteries without much hassle.
You also do not need to bother about the safety of this charger because it comes with a reverse hook-up feature that protects your battery.
Another great feature of this product is the length of its cords that allow you to connect it to hard-to-reach places.
7. DieHard 71219 – Best Battery Charger For Motorcycle
The DieHard batteries charger is the recommended choice for those who leave their car lights on for a long time. This product has a 2 Amp automatic trickle mode that allows charging a battery effectively without hassle.
Additionally, it can also jump starters your car with its 50A clamps as well as a 10A fast charging option.
Its 5 stage charge process allows for rapid charging and battery monitoring, enhanced by its LED indicator that flashes when the clamps get reversed.
Also, it is the best battery trickle for motorbike battery because of its wires that can get to hard to reach areas in your cell.
8. Smartech WBC 250 Smart Battery Charger
Smartech charges a wide range of battery types, including AGM, flooded batteries, lithium batteries, and gel batteries. A significant feature of this model is its ability to use a 250 Amp battery charger to jump start different vehicles.
Also, you and your batteries are safe while using this charger as it has inbuilt protection features such as an anti-spark. It also prevents overcharging and reverses polarity, amongst others.
Additionally, the status of your vehicle’s alternator is easy to ascertain as it comes with an Alternator Check Function.
Hence, it is not difficult to detect irregularities with your battery or alternator. You are also guaranteed a smooth charge function with this charger because of its inbuilt microprocessor that maintains your battery and charges it fast.
9. Ampeak Smart Trickle Charger
This smart product works effectively during different weather conditions, including winter. Ampeak charges batteries with 6 volts and 12 volts, be it AGM, STD, GEL, or lead acid battery.
Its features allow you to select the charging mode you want manually and also pick the best method for your battery automatically.
Also, it is safety conscious with a high tech LCD that has vivid icons to alert you of system change and the status of your battery.
A 6 step charge process is guaranteed with Ampeak. This features Desulphation, and Battery test, among others. It also has an input current of 3.5A and a rated input voltage of 120V AC/60Hz.
10. Schumacher SP1297 – Best Portable Marine Trickle Charger
Schumacher SP1297 has a generally effective battery charge delivery because of its features and its size. Its dimensions are 8.4 × 7.5 × 3.1 inches, yet it still delivers adequately.
This onboard boat trikle charger is excellent for cars, marine vehicles, and motorcycles, as well as different batteries.
You will find that it is fully automatic with easy to use features such as its adapter and clamp. Additionally, SP1297 has a display screen that alerts you of your battery condition and a step by step instruction on how to use it correctly.
Also, you can hang these trickle chargers outside your workspace to give you adequate convenience as well as for safekeeping.
11. Extreme Max 4-Bank Car Battery Charger
If you are looking for an economical battery charger, then the Extreme max battery maintainer is for you. It can charge four lead acid batteries of 12 volts each. This is a perfect deal because its price is extremely affordable for its functionalities.
It has a 2A 12V charging capacity per bank with an LED light indicator that shows you your battery status. Also, safety is a top priority with Extreme Max battery as it will not function if there is a faulty connection or short-circuiting.
You also need not be worried about overkilling this charger because it is capable of handling the four batteries as long as they are within 6 to 12 volts range. Another feature of this trickle battery is that charging the battery without overcharging them.
12. STANLEY BC209 Car Battery Charger
STANLEY BC209 is an exclusively inexpensive and effective unit. This battery trickle is also used to retain the optimal capacity of batteries that are stored over a period of time. Its 1.5 Amps capacity charges 12V GEL, WET, and AGM batteries in different cars and boats.
When buying this charger, you get a DC plug and battery clips that give you adequate output. Also, your battery is safe from overcharging because this charger automatically stops charging when your battery is fully charged.
Float mode on this charger also allows the battery to save the charge on it and also keeps it safe from short-circuiting.
13. SUAOKI Trickle Charger
Suaoki is a multi-functional trickle battery that can fix your battery, repair sulfated cells, and charge effectively. This charger is sensitive to your battery's temperature and protects it from overcharging.
Additionally, you get a two in one charge rate mode; the fast method which is 7A, and the slow style, which is 3.5A, all effective for 12V batteries. Due to these switchable modes, you get to choose how to charge your GEL, AGM, and WET batteries efficiently.
Suaoki has a compact design with a screen that gives you the status of your battery as well as diagnoses problems with your trickle chargers.
When your battery gets full while using this charger, it automatically switches to float mode to save the battery life.
14. GOOSUO Automatic Trickle
These trickle chargers is compact yet practical and durable. GOOSUO charges 6 volt and 12-volt batteries, including AGM and Li-iON batteries, effectively.
You get to choose charging modes between fast mode at 4A and slow method at 1A for 4-80 Ah and 4-20 Ah, respectively.
One major feature of this battery is its ability to maintain your battery automatically over a long period. Also, this charger detects and repairs cells with faults while monitoring it to prevent further damage.
The LCD of the GOOSUO charger allows you to see your battery status as well as feedback while it is charging.
15. SUNER POWER Trickle Battery - Best Solar Battery Charger
Suner Power trickle chargers is a solar-powered 12-volt trickle battery. Similar to most solar-powered devices, this battery charger allows you to charge your batteries via solar energy converted to 12 volt DC power.
This product is also a battery trickle and charges your battery safely by preventing reverse discharge and overcharging.
Additionally, you can use this charger on any vehicle of your choice as far as the battery is 12 volts.
You can use the Suner Power battery charger for a long-term as it is made with durable solar glass that can withstand the load. Also, its frame is made of ABS, and it is easy to install and maintain.
Best Trickle Charger For Car Battery
There are many trickle chargers for cars available in the market that it becomes a bit difficult to choose the best one for you. These battery chargers are made in different designs to fit different situations. As far as your budget is essential, it is still vital to take note of some features before buying one.
Before settling on a particular trickle product, it is crucial to know your battery energy. This is because some chargers are manufactured to suit either a 6 volt or a 12-volt battery. Hence, you need to know how compatible your battery will be with the charger.
Battery charger with trickle charge function is made to support different types of battery. Some may work well with lead acid battery or AGM batteries or even WET batteries. Therefore, you should check the charger's compatibility with your battery before buying it. Also, if you use an incompatible charger, it may damage your battery.
Trickle battery chargers come with different purposes, such as maintaining your battery while charging the battery either fast or slow. Therefore, it is necessary to know the features of the charger before buying.
Some battery chargers that double as a battery charger may reduce delivery based on charging performance. Hence, you should know what you need in a charger before buying.
This is one factor we all look out for before buying a product. Hence, it is only reasonable if you look for a durable battery charger. To get a long-lasting trickle model, you must get one that has an inbuilt cooling fan. This will help you to avoid overheating and excess use of it.
Some battery maintainers come with safety features for both you as well as your battery. Some features such as anti-shock, voltage regulators, and clamps work together to improve the safety of battery chargers.
Additionally, some chargers check if there is a reverse polarity protection on the connectors of their batteries. Therefore, you should check the features of the battery charger so that you will know the exact functionality.
The health of our batteries is one major factor to consider before buying a charger. Some maintainers diagnose the problems with your battery.
One major problem it diagnoses is the inability of your cell to retain a full charge. Therefore, if you need a diagnostic charger, then it is vital to know the features before buying one.
The size of your engine determines the size of your battery and the capacity of the battery charger. A big engine will require a charger with high capacity. Therefore, ensure that you check the size of your engine and capacity of the model before buying one.
Type of Charger
Apart from the different models of battery chargers, there are two types of battery chargers. The Dumb and Smart battery charger maintainer.
- Dumb Style: This is the traditional type of battery charger that can charge any size of the battery. Although they are cheaper than the smart style, they may lack most of the advanced features that the smart form possesses.
- Smart Style: Smart style is more expensive than the dumb form but comes with more advanced technology. This allows you to plug your battery and leave it for a long periods after charging the battery without fear of damaging your battery. They possess inbuilt monitors that can detect the status of your battery as well as the charge level.
What Is The Difference Between Auto Trickle Chargers And Battery Maintainers?
Automotive Trickle Chargers are used for a long charge. Sometimes, we may want to plug the battery to the charger while attending to other duties.
As a result, we leave the battery and charger unattended, and when this is the case with regular chargers, the battery starts losing power or discharging.
However, this can be checked by using a automobile trickle unit as these chargers will charge continuously after the battery is full, in a small amount of current. Therefore, a charger works to keep your battery full all the time.
On the other side, a battery maintainer will automatically go off as soon as your battery is full and then monitors your battery until it drops to a certain level.
When this occurs, it will automatically resume charging until the battery is complete once more. Hence, this saves your battery life and reduces reverse discharge.
How To Connect A Trickle Charger To A Battery?
If you do not know how to use a trickle charger or how to charge a battery, don’t be bothered because it is as easy as ABC.
Many times, some of these car trickle chargers come with instructions that make it easier to set up and use it effectively. However, we have compiled a step by step process to let you set it up quickly.
- Run a checkup: It is crucial to be sure about you and your battery's safety before connecting your battery to a charger. Park your vehicle in a well-ventilated space. This is because trickle charger releases an amount of hydrogen gas that may cause a battery explosion if the car is parked in a tight area. Ensure that you turn off the ignition of your vehicle and remove your car keys. Also, you should find an appropriate place to fasten the trickle charger's negative terminal.
- NB: Using your car battery’s negative terminal could result in an explosion. Therefore, do remember to use positive terminal when trying to charge.
- Connect the wires: As soon as you complete the above step, the next step is coupling the cables. However, before you start, you must fix the ampere and voltage of the charger to suit your car's battery. When you do this, locate the alligator clips, the red and black clips. You should connect the red clip (positive wire) to your battery's positive terminal and the black clip (negative cable) to the negative terminal.
- NB: Avoid touching the wires while they are plugged in as they could shock you. Therefore, stay a long way off from the cables.
Turn the charger on: Before turning the charger on, go through the manual thoroughly to ensure that you did not miss any step and that you connected the wires adequately. When you are sure, you can turn the charger on.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can Trickle Chargers Damage Battery?
This will only happen if you leave the battery connected to the charger for a long term. It will lead to overcharging and will further damage your battery.
2. Can I Leave A Trickle Charger On All The Time?
It depends on the types of charger. You can leave some types of trickle chargers for a long time. You can use it on a vehicle that you store for a period of time, especially during winter.
3. Can You Start A Car With A Trickle Charger Attached?
Yes, you can start the car with a charger connected. This is basically for warming your battery. However, after some time, you should disconnect it.
4. Will A Trickle Charger Charge A Dead Motorbike Battery?
No, trickle charger can only charge a motorbike battery if it has a little bit of power. Therefore, if the battery is faulty, it will not hold a charge.
5. Can I Charge Motorbike Battery With A 10 Amp Charger?
It depends significantly on the amperage of your battery. If it is compatible with a 10 amp battery charger, then you can use it.
6. Can I Use A Trickle Charger To Charge My Motorbike Battery?
Yes, you can. However, you should ensure that the voltage of the charger is the same as your motorcycle.
7. How Long Does It Take To Charge A Battery With A Trickle Charger?
This usually takes up to 24 hours. If your battery is depleted to a substantial level, you might need to charge it for up to 24 hours to get it to a level that you can use.
Our top pick
Battery Tender Plus 12V is our number one choice for the best charger for battery. This is mainly because of its portable build and ability to charge as fast as a 3 Amp battery, whereas it is a 1.25 Amp battery.
Additionally, the length of its wires makes it possible to get to hard to reach areas in your battery. It is also safe to use as it has green and red lights that indicate reverse polarity protection.
As a result of these unique features, we rate the battery maintainer 4.8 of 5 stars and crown it the no. 1 trickle charger.
If you found this post helpful regarding what is a trickle battery charger, please feel free to share it with others and if there is any question related can let us know in the comment.