14 Best Car Battery For The Price (2021) Reviews & Buying Guide
How do you feel when you try to start the car in the morning, and it just won’t start? Indeed, that’s an annoying and bewildering experience. No matter the quality of your vehicle maintenance or your car battery, it is not built to last forever.
The chances are that you will have to replace its battery either once or twice. However, the better your choice of a automobile battery, the longer it will last.
Whether you’re the owner of a reliable Toyota, an SUV, a sports car, or a BMW, and your new performance battery for your vehicle suddenly fails. Then, you have made the wrong choice. Do not feel downcast!
Even the most experienced drivers can make mistakes while purchasing a good battery if the necessary research isn’t done. If you don’t want to be a victim of the cycle of “buying and replacing” battery units, then it is crucial to only opt for the best car battery for the price.
We’ve done thorough and meticulous research to create a detailed list of the 14 top rated car batteries on the market. Read attentively to check on auto battery reviews, auto battery ratings that meets your needs and vehicle requirements in searching for the longest lasting battery.
XS Power D6500
- Ultra low internal resistance
- Superior deep cycling ability
- Non hazardous configuration and leaf-proof
- Incredible starting power, speedy recovery
- Limited 3 and 4 year full warranty
- Extreme temperature tolerant (-40 to 113 Fahrenheit)
- Very versatile and able to work with major car brands
- It can perform in very hot or cold climates without significant voltage drops
- With 775 CCA, works well in cold region
Top 14 car battery reviews
(Table Of Comparison)
The table below shows the summarized of batteries comparison of the best car battery for the price for your easy reference.
However, the positions are in no particular order of importance on top rated car battery reviews, best car battery brands and ratings. This enable anyone to know who makes the most suitable battery that suit your needs.
1. Odyssey 34/78-PC1500DT
(Our Top Pick)
EDITOR’S CHOICE (Best rated car batteries)
4.9 / 5.0
Price : $ $ $
2. DieHard 38217
4.7 / 5.0
Price : $ $
3. Optima Batteries RedTop 35
4.1 / 5.0
Price : $ $
4. Exide Battery 24MDP
4.4 / 5.0
Price : $ $ $ $
5. XS Power D3400
4.8 / 5.0
Price : $ $ $ $
6. NorthStar NSB AGM65
4.5 / 5.0
Price : $ $ $ $
7. Optima Batteries YellowTop D34/78
4.2 / 5.0
Price : $ $ $
8. Odyssey 65-PC1750T
4.3 / 5.0
Price : $ $ $ $
9. Mighty Max ML35-12
4.7 / 5.0
Price : $
10. XS Power D6500
4.6 / 5.0
Price : $ $ $ $
11. Deka 9A65
4.3 / 5.0
Price : $ $
12. Kinetik HC2400-REV
4.6 / 5.0
Price : $ $ $
13. ACDelco 48AGM
4.0 / 5.0
Price : $ $
14. ACDelco 34AGM
4.1 / 5.0
Price : $ $
Top 14 Best car battery for the price
1. Odyssey 34/78-PC1500DT – Editor’s Choice best car battery
If you’ve ever researched on buying a battery, then you should have heard of the Odyssey Batteries Automotive and LTV agm battery brand.
This Odyssey PC1500DT delivers an incredible power starting, a speedy recovery, and a deep cycle capacity that will astound you.
This Odyssey best agm battery is fastidiously designed to keep up with the electronics, specialities as well as the focused power demands of all kinds of modern-day vehicles as the best rated battery.
Unlike the lead alloy that is common in most vehicle batteries, these Odyssey agm battery plates are manufactured with pure, undiluted virgin lead.
It packs much more plates, and this translates into far more power than the regular battery as well as an increased plate-surface area where it can be the most reliable unit.
- Has 3X The Lifetime, And 2X The Power Of Regular Motor Vehicle Batteries, With A Maximum Of 400 Cycles At 80% Depth Of Discharge
- Built For All Cars And Performance – Regular Everyday Vehicles, Antique And Classic Cars, Off-Road And 4 X4, Modified Vehicles, And High-Performance Cars
- It Is Constructed With Pure, Undiluted Virgin Lead
- Designed With An Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Which Prevents Acid Spills
- It Is Constructed With Corrosion-Resistant, High-Conductivity, Tin-Plated Brass Terminals
- Its Relief Valve Is Self-Regulating, And It Has A High-Integrity Sealed Design
- It has a long service year, ranging from three to ten years of quality service life
- It saves users aggravation, money, and time
- Includes a three-year limited, and a four-year full-warranty
- Its cycle life is 70% longer than the regular deep-cycle automobile batteries
- Its recharge efficiency is the highest when compared to all other sealed-lead cells on the market
- Some users had complained about the quality of side terminals post
2. DieHard 38217 battery
The DieHard battery (best car battery 2018) is well known to offer exceptional batteries that go above the standard, and this DieHard 38217 product is no different.
It is ideal for RV, marine, best truck batteries, recreational vehicles, and other vehicles with a considerable load limit. It is also well suited for watercraft, off-road cars, tuner cars, and performance cars.
It has a highly superb AGM design that perfectly withstands the amplified accessory power demands, increased temperature conditions of today’s vehicles.
Even more, its full-plate AGM technology is constructed to offer longer life and more power.
Amazingly, this best rated auto battery is spill-proof, maintenance-free, and is mountable in virtually any position.
It meets the requirements of several domestic and import OEM applications such as BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Jaguar, Chrysler, Volvo, Volkswagen, Saab, Porsche, Mini, and many more.
- Its Battery Performance Is Safeguarded By The Twenty Times More-Vibration Protection
- Cycle Extends The Lifespan And Performance Of Regular Lead-Acid Batteries By 2X
- 92 Ah, Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) – 850, RC (Reserve Capacity) – 170
- Spill-Proof Design
- Optimized Power, Full-Frame Negative And Positive Plates Eliminate Life-Robbing Electrical Shorts
- An Electrolyte Suspension System Is Enhanced To Absorb An Increased Amount Of Electrolyte, As Well As Safeguard Internal Components
- Weighs 60 Lbs
- Increased Electrolyte Suspension
- Increased battery lifespan
- Smart and superb design
- Internal components are highly protected
- Perfect for all heavy duty battery
- The battery size is small
3. Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 RedTop
This Optima RedTop is true to the word of the brand to provide the ultimate battery experience.
This is a top-notch starting battery that is manufactured to offer you a powerful, impressive ignition power burst that enables a reliable start-up each time.
Designed to withstand extreme corners, hard launches, and fierce weather conditions, this RedTop (best group 35 battery) will outlast and outperform conventional batteries in challenging starting/cranking power applications.
This RedTop boasts of a superb delivery of high power and radical resistance to the common reasons for battery failure.
As a result, it is an ideal automotive batteries unit for SUVs (best suv battery), trucks, streetcars, hot rods, and other vehicle applications which require a spill-proof starting battery.
Even more, this impressive & best automotive battery is perfect for hot weather.
- Strong Ignition Starting Burst
- Its Vibration Resistance Is Over 15X
- Mountable In Practically All Positions, Spill-Proof
- Faster Recharging
- Weighs 31.7 Lbs
- Its Operation Is Ideal For Virtually All Motorcycles, Cars And Trucks (Best Truck Battery On The Market)
- Features SpiralCell Technology Which Is More Expensive And Precision-Controlled Than The Conventional Flat-Plate AGM Batteries
- 36-Month Replacement Period
- It is a heavy duty battery, perfect for heavy applications where the start is the primary function
- Its Spiracell design provides a clean and robust source of power
- It delivers high-power cranking capacity even in uncompromising weather conditions
- It offers safety for users and their environment
- It has a longer shelf-lifespan as a result of its high reserve capacity
- High-level durability
- It might be a bit short for some users
4. Exide Battery 24MDP Battery – Best automotive battery
As you should know, a reliable battery can spell the difference between a successful trip or you being stranded. With this Exide good battery, you get quality and durability at its peak.
The company behind this product, Exide Technologies, has been in business for over 120 years, providing quality products.
This Exide 24MDP battery does not fall short of these standards. It has 500 Cold Cranking Amps, and about 120 mins of RC, which enables users to utilize all their onboard vehicle accessories without being unable to crank the vehicle.
With the seal technology employed in its construction, this unit qualifies as a spill-proof marine battery and the best vehicle battery. Also, it is designed with SureLife Graphite Technology to maximize its energy capability fully.
It weighs only 50 lbs, with a dimension of 10.2 x 6.8 x 8.6 inches. That means, it can fit in perfectly with virtually anything that requires battery power.
- Full Exide Brand Warranty
- Fits In With Multiple Models And Makes
- Weighs 50 Lbs
- Best 12 Volt Car Battery, 10 Amp
- AGM Design
- 500 CCA
- 120 Mins RC
- It has a unique engineering alloy design that increases its performance, even under harsh usage conditions
- It is resistant to corrosion and vibration as well as spill-proof
- It has a high RC capacity of two hours
- The CCA could be higher
5. XS Power D3400 XS Series
The XS Power D3400 vehicle battery is a top-notch battery that features the best of the AGM technology. It has the highest energy density of AGM batteries, and this makes it a recommended battery for everyone and every vehicle.
It is manufactured with electrolytes that are kept in a fiberglass setup, ensuring that there is no spillover occurrence on the battery.
Another feature that most users can’t stop praising is the anti-shock resistance. Even more impressive, this battery is super flexible, so you can mount and subsequently install it in almost all positions.
If you have installed high-end caliber of audio systems in your vehicle or you’re planning to, this battery unit is an ideal choice.
Primarily, this D3400 battery unit is designed for vehicles that carry energy-consuming installations as it can maintain strength even when a high amount of energy is being used to maintain high performance battery.
- Highest Density Energy Technology
- Its AGM Electrolyte Is Contained In A Fiberglass Setup
- Features A 12V Battery, With Ah – 65, CA – 1000
- It Is Sealed, Spill-Proof, Vibration Resistant, And Valve-Regulated
- Anti-Shock Resistance
- It Can Be Mounted And Installed In Almost All Positions
- Its Internal Resistance Is Ultra-Low
- Top choice for high-end car audios. If you intend upgrading the sound system of your motor vehicle battery, this is a perfect choice
- The battery cannot damage easily due to causes like spills because it is adequately protected with the fiberglass as an added protection element
- It can easily lessen the vibration of your vehicle engine. Also, it is quite efficient at decreasing engine shocks
- It fires up quickly, providing high power and performance
- The warranty period could be longer
6. NorthStar NSB-AGM65 (best car battery)
Are you on a hunt for an ideal ultra-high-performance battery solution for your vehicle? If yes, then this NORTHSTAR NSB-AGM65 is something you are looking for.
This battery is built to surpass your needs and requirements while providing you with years of problem-free operation.
It delivers superior performance and exceeds the battery life expectations of the conventional batteries. This Northstar battery, like all others, has an increased power density.
It is not designed with the lead alloys and additives utilized for the regular lead-acid batteries, which causes component aging and fast corrosion.
Instead, it is built with pure, undiluted lead plates which are larger and thinner and produce an additional surface range for active reactions of material. With this Northstar battery, you are guaranteed never to experience catastrophic failures.
In essence, it is built to lessen the overall cost of battery ownership by delivering superior deep-cycle capabilities and exceptional starting performance.
- It Meets The Exact Requirements Of The Battery Council International Group 65
- 930 CCA, 135 Min RC, 900 Cycles At 50% DOD (Depth Of Discharge)
- The Battery Features A High-Impact Case That Is Shockproof
- Extremely Resistant To Vibration
- 48-Month Full Replacement Warranty
- Spill-Proof/ Leak-Proof, Ultra-Low Self-Discharge Rate
- Its typical service range is between five to ten years
- Its starting time is speedy
- Perfect for start-stop and performance technology applications
- Its recharge is faster than most other batteries
- Heavier than other batteries
7. Optima Batteries 8014-045 D34/78 YellowTop
This Optima Yellow Top is a deep-cycle and dual-purpose starting battery. It has an unsurpassed cycling capability and a top-notch cranking power. It is also an ideal unit choice for modern vehicles that are loaded with accessories.
This is not surprising as Optima motor vehicle batteries are known to deliver unstoppable power due to forty-years of history in engineering and innovation.
Vehicles with sound systems and high energy-demanding electronics, commercial vehicles, trucks which features winches, and other heavy equipment can depend on this Optima battery unit to provide the ultimate deep-cycle and starting power.
It also functions efficiently as a tractor battery, a forklift battery or for various other applications. Its power output is also more efficient as its internal resistance is low.
- 120 Min RC
- 55 Ah, 750 CCA, Best 12v Battery
- Dimensions: 10.06 X 6.94 X 7.88 Inches
- Weighs 43.5 Lbs
- Polypropylene Case Material
- Optima Warrants That It Will Have No Defects In Craft And Errors From The Day Of Original Purchase, And This Is Backed By A 36 Month Replacement Period
- It is straightforward to install
- Long life is guaranteed
- Best battery for hot weather and is also one of the best batteries to buy for cold weather
- It can handle vehicles that are heavily loaded with energy-consuming accessories
- It has a fast recharge
- It is heavy
8. Odyssey 65-PC1750T – Best for Cold Weather
Like all Odyssey battery, you can expect a speedy recovery, impressive power starting, and incredible deep-cycle capabilities from this unit.
It can be mounted in any position and at virtually any angle. It is one of the highest cold-cranking amps battery, and with a CCA (cold cranking amp) of 950, you can rest assured that cruising in all seasons – be it cold or hot.
As this Odyssey car agm battery unit is known to produce a high reserve capacity, you can expect to be entirely safe and secure as you operate your vehicle. It is built to defy all damaging forces caused by mechanic vibrations.
Isn’t it amazing that with this best agm car battery, you can get to a full charge in only 4-6 hours?
It features a quality tight construction that eliminates spillage and the destruction caused by shock, thereby extending the life of the battery.
As a result, the Odyssey brand confidently promises ten years of dedicated quality service with the purchase of this unit. Impressive, right? Do check on the agm battery reviews on how they differ.
- 950 CCA
- Limited Three-Year Warranty, And Four-Year Full Replacement Warranty (Not Pro-Rata)
- 145 Min RC
- Its Cycle Life Is 70% Longer Than Traditional Deep-Cycle Batteries
- Features 400 Cycles At 80% DOD (Depth Of Discharge)
- The Spill-Proof Design, Mounting Flexibility
- Its design protects against mechanical vibration and high-impact shock
- It is highly tolerant of extreme temperatures, making it the perfect option for cold weather
- The battery fits into multiple makes and models
- It has the fastest recharge to be found on a sealed-lead battery
- You are guaranteed to get 3-10 years of battery service
- It cannot be mounted fully inverted
- Not ideal for marine applications
9. Mighty Max ML35-12 – 12V 35AH
Do you have issues involving your battery failing you at the time of need? If yes, then you should know that this Mighty Max battery eliminates this issue and many others.
This battery uses a calcium-alloy, heavy-duty, state-of-the-art grid which provides remarkable service life and excellent performance in both cyclic and float applications.
It has Absorbed Glass Mat technology with a mechanical valve design that can be utilized in indoor and enclosed environments, without fear of maintenance or leaking.
Even more, this unit offers incredible performance for hundreds of makes and models. It can power virtually from all electronic devices and tools from electric vehicles to consumer electronics, emergency devices, and appliances concerning hobbies such as recreation and outdoor sport.
True to its “mighty” name, this battery is packed with incredible features even with its small size. Its size is half that of most cells, and its weight is only a fourth of that of regular batteries.
- 12Volt Auto Battery, 5 AH
- AGM, SLA Chemistry
- Two Batteries Quantity
- Weighs 23.15 Lbs
- Dimensions: 5.16 X 7.68 X 7.13 Inches
- 1-Year Warranty
- It is highly portable
- Unlike the conventional flooded batteries, this Mighty Max is leak-proof and very safe for users
- It comes with a self-regulated valve that eliminates overheating
- As a result of its technology and design, it is less liable to corrosion
- It can be positioned in any orientation
- Does not include wire connectors in the box
- Its 35Ah, 12V may not be the most powerful
10. XS Power D6500 XS Series
Designed by professionals and with expert care, the XS Power series is capable of meeting and surpassing your requirements and standards.
The XS Power series are among the lightest and most powerful batteries on the market. According to several test results, these batteries perform even better than batteries that weigh up to 20 lbs., and even more.
From the 12 lbs., 12 V batteries to 14V batteries to 30 lbs., 16V batteries, X Power has a wide selection to fit every need.
The batteries feature a top-notch, lead-acid battery technology that produces in a small space. Thus it creates efficient, totally sealed-battery packages that do not even require you to add water.
These batteries for cars have superior cycling ability, and their internal resistance is ultra-low.
They can be mounted in any orientation, and are non-spillable. Racers in particular and drivers of Monster Truck who need top reliability and performance get it in these batteries.
- 1070 CA, 12V, 75 Ah
- AGM Battery, With Electrolyte In Suspended Fiberglass
- Sealed, Valve-Regulated, And Vibration-Resistant
- Super-Low Internal Resistance
- Weighs 58 Lbs
- 3900 Max Amp
- 150 Min. RC
- 3-Year Warranty
- It has a non-hazardous configuration that is leak proof. The batteries won’t even leak if damaged
- When appropriately charged, it lasts for a long time
- It stores energy, so a capacitor isn’t required
- The battery has the capacity to resist even the most extreme vibrations
- Does not come with mounting brackets
11. Deka 9A65 AGM Intimidator Battery
The Deka Intimidator Battery is widely recognized for its superb quality and performance. It is a great battery option with a high-performance rate, satisfying construction and lifespan.
The battery is made of special glass mats which allow absorbing more electrolyte. The vibration protection and spillproof design allow the battery to provide excellent performance throughout the usage.
The battery is ideal for off-road vehicles and tuner cars as it provides more power, and the battery design is perfect for such adventures.
The battery recharges faster and requires less maintenance. To some of the battery reviews, it is consider one of the best battery in the market.
- BCI (Battery Council International) Group: 65
- Voltage: 12 Volt Battery
- Weight: 46 Lbs
- Dimensions: 12 Inches X 7.38 Inches X 7.63 Inches
- Cold Cranking Amps: 750
- RC: 150 Minutes
- Warranty: 36 Months
- The Deka 9A65 AGM Intimidator battery is designed with an enhanced AGM Technology system and better electrolyte enclosure to prevent spillage
- The battery is designed to withstand high temperatures and vibrations
- It charges up faster than conventional batteries, with a double cycling life and strength
- The battery is powerful and performs under very high power demands
- Transfer of Current is maximized over the battery life
- It is designed to last long
- The product has limited warranty support
12. Kinetik HC2400-REV
You can use Kinetik HC2400-Rev as a replacement for your standard battery as well as for your audio equipment. Designed with a secure AGM Technology, the battery supplies high current from its power cells.
The battery comes with a two-year warranty and reinforcements on the battery case. The battery is designed to be leak-proof and non-hazardous. The battery is maintenance-free, heat-resistant, and vibration-resistant.
- System Power: 2400 Watts
- Ah: 110
- Voltage: 12 Volts
- Weight: 63.7 Pounds
- Dimensions: 13.6 X 6.8 X 8.6 Inches
- Cranking Amps: 100
- Cold Cranking Amps: 1700
- BCI (Battery Council International) Group: 31
- The battery comes at the best price for a great audio battery
- The Kinetik HC2400-REV is designed with an enhanced AGM Technology, and it can withstand high levels of increased temperatures and vibrations
- It is a great conserver of energy-saving you the cost of a capacitor
- The battery supplies a wattage of 2400
- The product comes with a two-year warranty
- Due to its anti-leakage system and lack of external vents, it can fit into any factory location for batteries without leaking or inconveniences
- This battery can be used in place of your standard battery or as a secondary power source. It is very convenient for your car audio system
- It is designed with closely packed cells and many plates to resist pressures, and it has a very low ESR
- The product lasts for a long time, maintaining its high-performance level
- Some users may find the height higher
13. ACDelco 48AGM Professional Battery
AC Delco top rated car batteries are a set of batteries with a long lifespan and great cycling. The 48AGM is made to be leak-proof with an Absorbent Glass Material.
Compared to others, it’s made such that mass from the grid is not easily lost and the electrolyte is secure in a glass separator.
The battery is also structured with enhanced alloys and a paste of great density to raise its performance and durability. This battery is sold with a three-year warranty and replacement on the defect.
It performs without maintenance due to the reduced water loss on the recombination of oxygen. Check out AC Delco battery reviews for more details and how it differ for each product.
- Battery Council International Group: 48
- Voltage: 12 Volts
- Weight: 45.5 Lbs
- Dimensions: 11.9 X 7.5 X 7.6 Inches
- CCA: 760
- Reserve Capacity: 120 Minutes
- 150 Min. RC
- 3-Year Warranty
- ACDelco specially designed this battery with Absorbent Glass Material to protect against spillage or leakage
- It comes with three years of warranty
- It requires less maintenance
- The plates experience controlled pressure which its walls can resist well, hence there is a reduction in grid mass loss
- There are little internal resistance and high conductivity due to the calcium and lead grid that are positive
- The acid is properly sealed in, circulates appropriately and does not leak out due to the meticulous design of the vents
- The battery is suitable in extreme temperatures; winter or very dry weather hardly have any effect on the battery or its performance
- The battery is made up of lead and other chemicals, so you have to wash up after handling to prevent health complications
14. ACDelco 34AGM Professional Battery
Considering ignition and switch-off applications in vehicles, and charge reception, ACDelco batteries give the best. The ACDelco 34AGM offers increased performance with its Envelope Separator, which is resistant to puncture.
The Oxygen reintegration saves water and plates with controlled pressure on them to reduce mass lost from the grid.
It’s a battery with a long lifespan and a three-year-long warranty. The battery consists of Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM), which completely seals and prevents spillage or leakage.
ACDelco 34 lasts for a longer time than conventional ones because there is a minimized loss of active grid mass.
It doesn’t matter if you want a battery for industrial, automotive, recreational or marine, this battery can meet your needs.
- Size Of BCI Group: 34
- Weighs 38.7 Pounds
- Voltage: 12 Volts
- Dimensions: 10.2 X 6.6 X 7.9 Inches
- Leak And Spill-Proof Absorbent Glass Material Seal
- Reserve Capacity: 115 Minutes
- Warranty: 36 Months
- The AGM design allows the battery to avoid spillage
- The minimized loss of active grid mass makes the battery last longer
- The grid has a calcium lead which makes conduction, maximized, and as a result of this, the internal resistance is low
- The battery has a warranty policy which lasts for 36 months. This also covers replacement should there be defects
- The acid content of this battery is conserved by a vent cap which helps to prevent leakages while a Separator heightens the circulation of the acids
- For its size and standard, it is not expensive
- High performance rate
- Poles cannot be changed because they are fixed
- For its size, the voltage can be considered small by some users
- Due to its lead content, not all carriers can ship it. So it might not be easily available.
Best auto battery for the price
So you have it – our list of the top 14 best car batteries on the market. Whichever battery you select from this list, you won’t regret your decision as thorough research was conducted on each battery before it made it to this list. However, if you are still in a bind as to what battery to purchase, do not despair.
It can be tough to select the ideal battery out of all the batteries on the market. To help you find the perfect battery, we have written a detailed buying guide and went on to answer some of the frequently asked questions.
Keep reading to arm yourself with the necessary information to make the best purchasing decision.
The odds are high that in the lifetime of your vehicle, you will have to replace the batteries a few times.
However, if you make the right decision the first time, you are guaranteed a battery that will last longer and with superior performance.
There are some factors you ought to consider when purchasing a car battery, and we have discussed the most relevant factors below.
Right Fit for Your Vehicle and Driving Purposes
Car batteries come in various sizes, and it is of extreme importance that the battery you purchase is according to the size of the battery tray of your car.
That is, check through the specifications of the battery to ensure that it has the right width, height, and length. Ensure that you get the right terminal types (locations) for the vehicle.
To prevent mistakes, you should check the user’s manual or consult with an expert mechanic. Do you know that if it isn’t the right size, the battery can’t be secured to your car, and it is open for vibrations? This heightens the importance of getting the size right.
After confirming that a battery is of the right size, you have to consider if it suits your driving needs and purposes. Some batteries are made specifically for specific driving conditions and climates.
Some battery models only work well when used under standard conditions, while some are tough irrespective of the climate or status. Certain models are great to handle power-consuming sound systems.
Meet the Power Requirements of Your Vehicle
Also known as the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) and the Cranking Amps (CA), the power requirement of a battery is another essential factor to consider. The more CCA on a battery, the better for you.
The CCA is the ability of the battery to power up a vehicle when at zero degrees Fahrenheit, and the CA is the energy needed to power up a vehicle while at thirty-one degrees Fahrenheit temperatures.
Choose a Fresh Car Battery
This is another factor of utmost importance. There is no use if you purchase a battery that has been on the shelf for long only to lose strength and die after a short duration of usage?
To get the best battery for cars performance, you should purchase a battery that has been on the shelf for less than 6-month period. If the battery is on the shelf for less than three months, even better.
You can check for the freshness of a battery quickly. Check the date stamp. The date stamp is represented by a code comprised of a number and a letter which serve as indicators for the manufacturing date of the battery.
For instance, a seal with A/12 signifies that the battery was manufactured for January 2012, B/18 shows that it was made for February 2018. The letters stand for months and the numbers for years. The code is usually located on the top-cover section of the battery.
Though all auto battery manufacturers do not utilize this code, you can also check for the battery freshness through the shipping code.
Sealed or Non-Sealed Battery
You have to choose between a sealed-battery and a non-sealed option. The sealed batteries require zero maintenance, while the non-sealed options demand low maintenance.
Sealed batteries have liquid electrolyte running in them and eliminating the need for water replacement. On the other hand, non-sealed batteries are developed with caps that enable the owner to add water occasionally.
All the batteries on this list are maintenance-free because these are sealed batteries. Some of the sealed batteries do not perform well in warm climates, but that does not apply to those on this list.
Types of top Car Batteries
At the very start of your purchase journey, you should be aware of the different kinds of car batteries. There are two basic types of car batteries – the conventional maintenance-free batteries and the advanced AGM.
The conventional batteries are made of lead-acid, and to a significant extent, they cost less than the more advanced AGM batteries. However, they are unable to withstand deep discharge, and they do not hold for long even after a full charge.
On the other hand, the AGM batteries are designed to withstand repeat recharging cycles and draining. Most of the cells on our list are AGMs because they are the standard for modern cars.
These cars are outfitted with several power-consuming features such as large sound systems that can only be handled by AGMS.
Reserve Capacity (RC)
By now, you should be familiar with the term reserve capacity, RC for short. The RC indicates how long a battery can keep running a vehicle even after the charging system – rotor, stator, and alternator – fails.
The RC also measures the duration with which you can leave your car headlights on and still get the car to run without requiring a jump-start. Some of the batteries on this list have a RC of over two hours.
Compare Warranties on Batteries
If you are still having a hard time with choosing the ideal battery out of a few, then you can compare their warranties. All car batteries are sold with manufacturer warranty, and you should go for the one with the most extended warranty and replacement period.
Sometimes, things don’t just go the way they ought to, and in cases like this, a free replacement period will come in handy.
There are two forms of warranty for a battery, the free replacement period and the prorated period — the last calls for partial reimbursement.
The warranty code on a battery is usually indicated like 12/48, with 12 indicating the number of months in which free replacement duration is valid, and 48 for the prorated warranty.
However, you need to keep in mind that marks of neglect in the battery, such as improper installation or low levels of water can nullify a warranty. Also, using a battery for marine applications and heavy-duty use when not recommended, voids the warranty.
Customer Experience and Reviews
Another deciding factor is the experience and the battery review of current and past users of the battery ratings.
All the batteries will surely have both positive and negative feedback on their quality, performance, maintenance, and lifetime.
Examine both the pros and cons of each cell before choosing one as the ideal fit or the most powerful battery that suits your need.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
1. What battery size should I choose?
To determine the battery size, you can check the size of the battery that is currently fitted in your vehicle.
Most batteries can be found beneath the hood of the car, while some are mounted beneath a seat or inside the trunk. Measure the length, width, and height.
Check to see the “Ah” number on your current battery. If your battery was fitted directly from the factory, then the battery you purchase should have a larger capacity.
2. How can I know a damaged battery?
To discover if a battery is damaged, there are some signs to consider:
- If the car engine cranks but is unable to start
- If the car won’t start and the radio and headlights won’t turn on
- Sometimes the vehicle starts well but sometimes it doesn’t
- When you have to jump the battery a few times
3. What is the expected lifetime of a battery?
If you purchase the ideal battery of excellent quality, then it should last for about 5-10 years. To increase the lifetime of your batteries, ensure that it does not run while it is at low charge.
4. Do I need to fill an advanced AGM battery with water?
The advanced AGM batteries are all sealed and maintenance-free. So, it is not possible to fill it with water.
The only thing you can do is to clean the terminals at least once annually to ensure that they always have a good connection. Also, maintaining a proper battery charging is key to the long life of AGM batteries.
Extra Tips on Car Battery
Most of the car batteries are designed for modern cars, which do not require maintenance. That’s why most batteries are sealed, and it isn’t even possible to add water.
However, if you purchase a low-maintenance, unsealed battery, then a regular checkup is required. Also, you have to add water through a cap from time to time to ensure that it doesn’t dry up.
Irrespective of the battery, if you want to get the best battery for car performance and a prolonged lifetime, then regular checkups and care are needed.
So, even if the battery you purchase is labeled as maintenance-free, you should carry out annual checkups once you’ve used it for up to two years if you reside in a warm climate.
However, if you live in a cold climate, then you can check the battery annually once you’ve used it for four years. You can save your time and save yourself much trouble by checking your battery by a professional regularly.
If you purchase one of the low-maintenance batteries, then here are a few things you ought to perform regularly:
- Ensure that you thoroughly clean the cables and remove all forms of corrosion that you see around the battery
- Never forget to check the electrolyte level, and if necessary, fill the cells with water
- Determine the battery charge by testing all the electrolytes
To charge your battery, you can either use a battery charger or jumper cables. You can utilize jumper cabled to take energy from another car if you are in a rush and you need quick power.
Using jumper cables is a painless and fast method of charging your battery, but if your battery isn’t able to properly hold a charge, then you’ll have issues with this method.
With such a battery, you’ll need to jump the battery every time you have to drive, which eliminates the whole point of using jumper cables.
It is wise to invest in a compact and high-quality battery charger to avoid future problems. To use the charger, connect the red to red (clamp positive to battery terminal positive).
Then, attach the black to black (both the negative terminal and clamp). After you’re done with the connection of the charger, connect it to a reliable household power outlet, and then switch it on.
Ensure that your battery doesn’t get discharged before you completely charge it. Charging a battery at complete discharge requires at least eight hours.
Most chargers now have lights that indicate when the battery is at full charge so you can switch it off and avoid overcharging.
Your Old Car Battery
As you are on the verge of purchasing a new one, what happens to the old battery? First, you should use a battery charger to determine if the old battery can be saved and utilized as a spare.
If it cannot be salvaged, then you have to make sure proper disposal because of the toxic acid and lead. Take the old battery to an auto retailer, and pay a small fee for disposal.
Car batteries are one of the most critical components of vehicles, if not the most important. In this guide, we have meticulously reviewed the top 14 best car batteries for the price on the market together with the vehicle batteries rating.
We have even included a detailed buying guide to help you make the best decision and top battery brands. Feel free to go through the car battery reviews again if you have any questions to purchase the best battery needed.
Our top pick in this guide is Odyssey 34/78-PC1500DT. It is the best because it has astounding features, ranging from its deep cycle capabilities, RC, to its high life expectancy and warranty. It is worth every single penny that you spend on it. Thanks to its AGM design, it is spill-free and highly resistant to vibrations.
Additionally, the best battery brand for hot weather on our list is the Optima Batteries 8020-164 RedTop, which is designed to withstand extreme corners, hard launches, and harsh weather conditions.
If you found this post helpful, please feel free to share it with others. In the mean time, if you are on the lookout for preventive measurement for potential vehicle break-ins, you should check out this article, in which we have compared 10 best alarm systems.